Anyone who has browsed the Internet knows all there is to know about RFID tags. The key points are:
1. RFID chips are smaller than a grain of rice
2. RFID tags cost less than ten cents each
3. RFID tags can be read at a range of 100 metres
4. RFID tags can store massive amounts of data
5. RFID tags can track every soft drink produced by every soft drink manufacturer…
6. You can walk into the lobby of a building, press a button on a handheld device and identify every asset in the building
7. You can put a reader on a door and track every item that moves in or out of a building
8. Barcodes are obsolete, and will disappear in a couple of years, replaced by RFID chips
So if RFID is this good, why isn't everybody using it?
And the above list, what do you think, truth or myth - has it been reported correctly,
or is it all a horrible mythtake?
Our view is that 90% of the information presented in the media is incomplete, or ambiguous or misleading, but that the remaining 10% is correct, and that 10% is going to have a dramatic effect on us all over the next ten years. So let us look at the above list in more detail.
The short answer is that every item on the list contains a grain of truth (no pun intended). Here are the details:
Well, RFID chips are manufactured pretty much the same way as any other integrated
circuit. One significant difference is the packaging process, most RFID chips are presented without
plastic encapsulation. You get to see the
naked chip. But although the chip is small, it
to function, and the antenna makes the whole assembly, the tag, a whole lot bigger.
An LF tag will be about the size of a beer bottle cap. A typical HF tag is about the size of a credit card. A UHF tag might be about three inches long, by about an inch wide, and perhaps a 3/64 inches thick. So yes, the chips are smaller than a grain of rice, but the tags are, unfortunately, much bigger than the chip.
Yes, but only if you buy a million. Or two.
Yes, but only if they are active tags. Which are not small. Or cheap.
Well some data. But are you really sure you want to do that?
Well RFID tags could track every box of tissue. But they are not good at two things, metal or water. So an aluminium can filled with water (and some secret ingredients) might present a significant technical challenge at this point.
Yes, but it has to be a really small building and you have to use active tags, and they cannot be close to metal, (or metal studs in the wall) and you won't know where anything is in the building, and if you have anything you want to track in another building it cannot be too close. Reading most of the tags is a good thing, but as one client pointed out, getting most of the tags is a bit like standing in front of the firing squad - and dodging most of the bullets.
Yes, but only if the person moving it wants you to track it, or cannot find any metal foil.
Yes, but only where the price and size of the tag is not an issue, and where line of sight reading is not possible or convenient. So yes, for some very specific applications.
- RFID chips are smaller than a grain of rice, and the tags are still pretty small, but not as
small as barcoded labels (especially, tiny 2D labels). And active tags are a good bit bigger than
- RFID tags cost less than ten cents each. If you buy very large quantities. In quantities of less than a thousand, tags prices vary from two dollars to fifty dollars.
- RFID tags can be read at a range of 100 metres. If there is an active tag that is not close to any metal or liquid, and there is a clear (RF) line of site to the reader.
- RFID tags can store massive amounts of data. Well, some can contain data, but for most it is a few dozen characters.
- RFID tags can track every soft drink can produced by every soft drink manufacturer… Yes, but the chip would have to be stood off from the can, or read at very close range.
- You can walk into the lobby of a building and identify every asset in the building by pressing one button. Yes, but only for very small buildings.
- You can put a reader on the door and track every item that moves in or out. Yes, if the person moving the item co-operates.
- RFID tags are barcode killers. Barcodes will be dead in a couple of years, replaced by RFID chips. Yes, but only for certain applications.
RFID is a powerful tool that is going to change the way that we live and work. RFID tags
significant benefits over barcoded tags for specific, but not all applications. We are still at the
with this technology, but can expect significant technical improvements over the
years. For many applications RFID is a mature and successful technology which should be employed